Top Tips to Protect your Plant and Agricultural Machinery!
- Paint your equipment in your corporate colours, this will make it less attractive to thieves.
- Mark parts with a unique number. The more parts you mark with a unique number, the easier it will be to identify them if the equipment is stripped down.
- Consider fitting a secure plate bearing your company’s details and/or a unique identifier, and a 24-hour telephone number so that the police can call you to check plant equipment they see on the move.
- Record all equipment and attachments in a company plant asset register.
- Register items with an approved recognised database such as CESAR.
- Invest in fleet tracking software such as Foretrack Asset.
Plant and agricultural machinery is highly vulnerable to theft and misuse, mainly because it is of high value and left unattended for long periods when not in use. A review conducted by leading insurer Allianz Cornhill, revealed that over £70 million of construction plant, including excavators, compressors and even cranes, has been stolen from construction sites in the last 12 months. This is despite initiatives by the Government to encourage plant manufacturers to improve in-built security features by utilising plant tracking and management systems.
It is estimated that the UK construction industry is now losing over £800 million a year when other costs associated with plant theft are taken into account. These costs include plant replacement, hire of replacement equipment, loss of revenue and increased insurance premiums. The insurer has also discovered that thieves have become more sophisticated in the methods they employ, even posing as plant manufacturers maintenance workers in order to remove vehicles from site.
At Foretrack we provide protection for your plant and agricultural machinery with our agricultural and construction package; Foretrack Asset, here are a few of the features:
Geo-fencing – set a pre-determined zone of use for your machinery
Alerting – identify unauthorised use
Find out how these features can make a big different to your business, get in touch today on email@example.com or call 023 80 249 860.